Toxic Mold Syndrome
Fewer things catch a homeowner or renter’s attention faster than the mention of mold. This is a fair response, especially given just how serious the issues that mold exposure can cause can be. Toxic Mold Syndrome (TMS), for example, is a term used to reference a set of illnesses that can develop due to exposure to certain molds. More specifically, molds that produce mycotoxin, a poison, are dangerous to those exposed to them.
Some of the more common symptoms of TMS include:
- Throat and Nose Irritation
- Shortness of Breath
- Lung Congestion
- Aches and Pains
- Watery or Burning Eyes
Who is most at risk for complications involving TMS?
Individuals who are already struggling with health issues are particularly at risk for complications arising from TMS. This includes the very young as well as the very old, in addition to those suffering from compromised immune systems. People with chronic allergies and respiratory disease might be at risk for developing more acute symptoms from TMS than others.
No one should be exposed to TMS, but the above individuals are more at risk for serious complications than others.
Is all mold toxic?
The fact of the matter is that the majority of molds are not toxic. The problem, however, is that toxic mold can form under the same conditions that harmless mold can form. That means that it is important to detect and analyze any mold that you see in your residence as quickly as possible. The only way to be certain of your safety is to speak with a professional who understands what they are looking at. That means that you don’t necessarily need to panic the second you see mold, but you shouldn’t delay in having it checked out.
If you have been injured by TMS, it is important to reach out to an experienced mold litigation attorney who can help you find your way through this confusing and overwhelming time. This is especially important given that there are specific factors that a victim must prove in order to win a TMS case. These include:
- That the disability or illness in question developed specifically due to exposure to toxic molds.
- That the individual suffering from TMS was exposed to the molds in question, and that someone was negligent in removing or preventing conditions that caused the mold.
If you or your Family has noticed health problems that even remotely could be a result of toxic mold, get proper testing done immediately. For more information about TMS and what kind of compensation you can expect to receive, contact Johnston, Moore & Thompson at 1.800.240.5770.