William H. Johnston Jr.
Bill is a native and life long resident of Huntsville and Madison County. He was born on his grandfather’s farm at Jeff, Alabama, July 20, 1944. He attended public schools in Madison County, Alabama, and graduated from high school at Battle Ground Academy, in Franklin, Tennessee. He holds a B.A. degree from The University of Alabama (1966), and Juris Doctorate degree from Cumberland Law School (1970). Currently Mr. Johnston practices law in the law firm of Johnston, Moore & Thompson, which he founded with his father in 1975. He is married to the former Claire Smith of Athens, Alabama, and they have two wonderful children, Anna Clay, and William H.Johnston, III, who graduated in 2001 from The University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa and currently attending Graduate School at the University of Alabama, Birmingham.
Mr. Johnston has always served his community. He is active in numerous local and civic affairs; He currently serves on the Board of Directors of First Commercial Bank, the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, and is a member of the Board of Directors of the Huntsville-Madison County Airport Authority and has served as the chairman of that board in the past. He is a member of the President’s Cabinet of The University of Alabama . He is a member of The Church of The Nativity, a member of the Huntsville Rotary Club, and Lifetime Member of the Alabama Sheriff’s Boy’s and Girl’s Ranches.
Since forming Citizens Independent Bank in 1984, Mr.Johnston’s practice has focused primarily on financial and investment matters. He served as General Counsel to Citizens Independent Bank for eight years and is well versed in investment, financial, and real estate matters. Currently, he is actively involved in the firm’s real estate practice with a focus on business transactions.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Real Estate
- Business Transactions
- Alabama, 1971
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Alabama, 1972
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Alabama, 1972
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Alabama, 1972
- Cumberland School of Law, Samford University, Birmingham, Alabama
- J.D. – 1971
- Law Review: Cumberland Law Review
- University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
- B.A. – 1966
Professional Associations and Memberships
- First Commercial Bank, Board of Directors
- Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Huntsville-Madison County, Member, Board of Directors
- Huntsville-Madison County, Past Chairman, Board of Directors
- The University of Alabama, Member, President’s Cabinet
- The Church of The Nativity, Member
- Huntsville Rotary Club, Member
- Alabama Sheriff’s Boy’s and Girl’s Ranches, Lifetime Member