Out-of-State Automobile Accidents

Car accidents are an unfortunately common occurrence in today’s society. More and more people rely on their vehicles to get them where they need to go, including on local trips as well as those out of state. As you might imagine, this only increases the likelihood of ending up in a car accident at some point in your life. And while the basic steps to take after ending up in an in-state car accident might be obvious, what happens if that car accident takes place outside of your home state? What steps should you take to protect yourself and your property?

Check State Laws

First and foremost, you should take the time to look up the laws that are in place in the state where the accident occurs. This is important for a number of reasons, perhaps the most important of which is that you’ll need to be aware of things like the length of the statute of limitations when making your claim. Waiting too long and missing the deadline could cause you to end up unable to collect compensation! With that in mind, then, make sure you understand the state laws and contact an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the justice system.

Something else to consider is that the state where the accident took place is the state that governs the legal process surrounding it – except in certain circumstances. If you find yourself needing to file a claim including underinsured (or uninsured) motorists, then the state where you obtained and maintain your insurance might factor into the equation as well. The importance of this is that insurance policies and the laws surrounding them can vary quite widely depending upon the state in question. Alabama, for example, allows individuals to overlap their uninsured motorist coverage from multiple vehicles on a single policy. Other states don’t offer this option, and your ability to recover compensation could be greatly impacted as a result.

This is a complex area of law that can change dramatically depending on even the relatively smallest of factors, which is why it’s a good idea to reach out to an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you navigate the legal process.

Experienced Accident & Injury Attorneys

If you experience a car accident out of your home state, you should reach out to an attorney as quickly as possible. You will likely find yourself in need of legal advice, particularly when it comes to determining which state holds authority of specific aspects of your case. The attorneys at Johnston, Moore & Weston can help! Reach out to us today at 256.533.5770 for more information!